Home Page

Meeting 3 - 20th January 2014

Meeting 03 - 20th January 2014

 

Minutes of Full Board of Governors

FOXHILLS JUNIOR SCHOOL

Held on Monday 20th January 2014 - commenced 7pm

 

Present:                         Mrs. Arscott – Chair

                                    Mr. Shore – Headteacher

                                    Mrs. Thomson – Staff Governor

                                    Mr. Fillis – Co-opted Governor

                                    Mr. Monk - Co-opted Governor     

                                    Mrs. Reader – Co-opted Governor

                                    Mr. Thomas – Co-opted Governor

                                    Mrs. Datlen - Co-opted & Training Liaison Governor   

                                    Ms. Scevity – Co-opted Governor

                                    Dr. McKechnie - Co-opted Governor

                                    Mrs. Turner – Parent Governor

                                    Mrs. Baker – Parent Governor

                                    Mr. Webb – Parent Governor

                                    Mrs. Sides – Parent Governor

                                    Mrs. Thornley - Parent Governor

                                                                               

In Attendance:          Mrs. Dulieu – Clerk                         

 

 

 

Signed:               A. Arscott                                         Date:      18/03/14

 

 

 

1. Apologies

No apologies were received for this meeting, but Mr. Monk advised that he would be late. The clerk confirmed that the meeting was quorate.

 

Parent Governor, Mrs. Glenda Thornley was introduced and welcomed as the latest member to join the Board of Governors, which is now at full capacity.

 

2. Declaration of pecuniary interests

None declared.

 

3. Minutes of last meeting

Both the unrestricted and confidential minutes of 26th November were proposed, seconded and all agreed that they were a true record of the meeting.

 

4. Matters arising

a)Update on action points: The list was updated - see attached, with the following noted:

            Points 1,5,11 and 12 - Mr. Shore emailed all documents to the clerk for distribution to                     governors. Discharged

            2. The clerk will speak to the school office to obtain a copy of the report. (Since received and               discharged 22/01/14)

            3 and 4. Items added to CLA agenda. Discharged

            7. Discharged

            8. No longer applicable. New website has gone live. Discharged

            13. Learning walk report distributed with agenda papers for this meeting.   Discharged

            14. Ongoing as Mr. Monk not available to comment at this time

            16. Ongoing

            17. Governors are still welcome to attend the INSET morning on 14th February, although the               focus is now to review lesson planning to match the school's EPIC ethos; governors may not               find this relevant but should let Mr. Shore know if they'd like to attend so they may be catered             for as lunch is provided.

           

5. Headteacher's verbal report

Points noted: 7% of pupils are categorised as 'not white british' - an increase making the school more ethnically diverse, but still below national average. 2.8% of pupils have English as a second language (previously 1%).

 

The School Improvement Plan (and post-OFSTED Action Plan):

  • Raise Attainment
  • Increase amount of Good and Outstanding teaching
  • Establish Integrated Curriculum (EPIC) learning. (Focus of INSET 14/02/14)
  • Grow Leadership capacity

 

OFSTED – overall judgement: REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT

1 – ACHIEVEMENT OF PUPILS                             REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT

2 - TEACHING and LEARNING                             REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT

3 - BEHAVIOUR and SAFETY                               GOOD

4 - LEADERSHIP and MANAGEMENT                    REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT

 

OFSTED AREA 1) – ACHIEVEMENT OF PUPILS (Requires Improvement)*

*Historical data: (Y7/ Y8) Inadequate.  Current cohorts: Requires Improvement (Y5/ Y6). Good (Y3/ Y4).

 

Attainment of current cohorts                                                        

 

ATTAINMENT (%)

 

PROGRESS (pts)

 

Rd

Wr

Ma

Rd+Wr

+Ma

 

Rd

Wr

Ma

End yr target

 

Aut 2

Tgt

Aut 2

Tgt

Aut 2

Tgt

Aut 2

Tgt

 

Aut 2

Aut 2

Aut 2

Sum 2

Y3

94.3

94.3

90.9

89.7

96.6

95.4

88.6

86.4

 

0.9

0.6

0.6

2

Y4

89.3

89.9

90.5

90.8

91.7

89.7

88.1

79.8

 

3.8

2.6

2.5

6

Y5

91.1

94.3

82.2

92.0

92.2

94.3

78.9

84.4

 

7.8

6.3

6.1

10

Y6

86.5

96.6

64.0

92.1

83.1

97.8

59.4

79.8/75

 

10.3

8.9

9.3

14

 

Progress is still an issue in Years 5 and 6 but is stronger in the lower school. There is more confidence in the levels awarded to children entering Year 3 now.

 

Special Education Needs                  

 

Children eligible for Pupil Premium (PP) – Ever 6 and Ever 3 pupils

  • 42 pupils in total eligible for the Pupil Premium (Y3 – 10, Y4 – 8, Y5 – 13, Y6 – 11)
  • This cohort are below national average at this stage
  • Managed by Ruth Easton: identification of needs, monitoring and evaluation of achievement
  • Jennie Bailey and Shelagh Hodgson – targeted interventions
  • Chris Bristow will be leading the PP working party meetings in future

 

Looked After Children

We have six LAC children, three of whom joined us towards the end of the Autumn Term.

Chris Bristow has commenced a three day training programme to become the Designated LAC teacher.

Each child attracts additional funding.

 

  Are LAC children on track to a) meet target b) to attain L4 at end KS2?

 

SEN

Reading

Writing

Maths

 

 

Meet target

L4@Y6

Meet target

L4@Y6

Meet target

L4@Y6

Y3

P

Y

N

Y

N

Y

N

Y4

P

Y

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y5

 

Y

Y

N

Y

Y

Y

Y5

P

N

N

N

N

N

N

Y5

 

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y6

 

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

1 child is not targeted for L4 at KS2 but is on target.

1 child not on target for L4 and not on target.

 

OFSTED AREA 2 – TEACHING and LEARNING (Requires Improvement)

a) Lesson observations: 13 lessons observed over course of Autumn term

 

Autumn 2013

Spring 2014

Summer 2014

  •  
  1.  
  1.  

 

 

 

 

  •  
  1.  
  1.  

 

 

 

 

Requires Improvement

  1.  
  1.  

 

 

 

 

RI (borderline)

  1.  
  1.  

 

 

 

 

  •  
  1.  
  1.  

 

 

 

 

 

b) Progress over time: learning in books demonstrates that children are making good progress.

The quantity of writing has vastly increased this year. There is a definitive focus upon standards, as opposed to completion of task.

 

Curriculum Development

  • Steph Mander leads Curriculum Development
  • New Curriculum Team established – subject lead is now collaboratively shared
  • The new integrated curriculum has entered its 2nd term. Teachers have learned from their experiences in the Autumn and have made changes to the way that they plan and organise children’s learning experiences
  • We were very pleased by the adult engagement in the Outcomes and, though successful, staff have reflected at length on ways to make them more effective

 

OFSTED AREA 3 – BEHAVIOUR and SAFETY (Good - verified by recent LLP visit)

Attendance:

Attendance target set for 2012/13 is 95.5%: School achieved end of year attendance of 96% (National 95%). Currently attendance stands at 97.2%. Improvement possibly linked to the new changes to requests for absence of leave from school.

 

OFSTED AREA 3 – LEADERSHIP and MANAGEMENT (Requires Improvement)

New Leadership structure in place from end Autumn 2. (See below)

Greater distributive leadership: prompted by PM expectations

 

OTHER AREAS

Personnel/Staffing:

 

 

Role

Leadership

PPA (pm)

Y3

 

Debbie Shipton/ Laura Hebdidge

Gill Reader

Kate Rowlandson

 

Curriculum team

NQT

 

Safeguarding/ Creativity App

 

Monday

Y4

Natalie Hogbourne

Shauna Bell

Matt Goodchild

Languages/ Coach

Curriculum team

Curriculum team (PE)

Y3/4 Phase Leader

Collaboration App

 

Tuesday

Y5

Bryan Weldon (Chris Kempton)

Steph Mander

Mandy Thomson

 

Literacy

Curriculum team

-

Curriculum Leader

Thinking App

Wednesday

Y6

Ruth Easton

Jane Kelly

Olivia Moore

Curriculum team

Maths/ Coach

NQT

Pupil Premium/ Independence App

Y5/6 Phase Leader

 

Thursday

 

Staff absences

  • Three members of staff remain on long term absence though sickness

 

Resources: Finance             

  • The budget continues to be managed carefully. There has been pressure to maintain an even budget, due to the long-term absence of members of staff (support staff salaries continue to be paid, teaching staff salaries are covered under the school’s insurance)

 

  • A strategic decision was made to reduce the amount of supply teachers used within the school by employing the HLTA for additional hours and allowing staff to bid for extra support from a teacher who has two free mornings weekly. 

 

This has been:

1)Beneficial for children (continuity/ shared values/ knowledge of policies)

2)Financial savings,

3)  Designated leadership/ release time built in

It has proved successful to date

 

Resources: Personnel

 

  • Staff training and development have contributed to raising standards
  • Performance Management process reaches mid-way stage this term. All staff will be reviewed. Issues arising will be discussed at SLT meeting
  • Debbie Shipton joined Y3 at the start of the Spring Term and is proving to be an effective practitioner
  • Bryan Welton took over the Y5 class. He will be replaced by Hayley Sired who will lead the class for the remainder of the year. Governors should be aware that Mr. Shore has made a commitment to stabilise the Y5 class by employing a teacher for the rest of the term.

 

  • 7.30pm Mr. Monk arrived

 

Complaints

  • No complaints have been formally received by the Headteacher this term

 

 

Partnerships with Parents and the Wider Community:

  • New Parent Meeting was well received. Nice atmosphere – a buzz. Could see other teachers. Had a sense of unity and security.
  • Website launched

 

Premises and Resources:

  • Floods and leaks   the Site Manager spent much of the Christmas holidays patching and repairing. He's done a great job at little cost

 

Wider aspects of the school

  • New laptops are being used throughout the school (through the FJSA)

 

Governors wished to convey their appreciation to the FJSA for their huge fundraising efforts for these laptops. Mrs. Arscott will write a letter of thanks.

ACTION: Mrs. Arscott

A governor asked if Year 5 parents would receive a letter regarding the residential trip. This is written and with the office; it should go out this week.

6. Finance and Resources Committee verbal report

Mr. Monk summarised the main points, as the minutes of Friday’s meeting  were not yet available, highlighting the following:

  • The Committtee's ToR have been revised and were recommended to the FGB for adoption. All agreed with no abstentions
  • Spend against budget is on target as expected, helped by the balance brought forward
  • Variations: Admin staff overspend (expected); Supply costs down due to use of HLTA; training budget over - NQT and Headteacher courses. Training will be planned strategically to tie in with the SDP and known staff training in future
  • Total expenditure:    £1,049,414.01

            Total income:             £1,328,084.75

            Surplus YTD:                        £   278,670.74          

            Balance b/fwd:         £     55,959.90

            Surplus YTD:                        £   334,630.64

  • SFVS forms have to be completed and submitted by 31st March 2014, once agreed by the FGB. The Committee confirm that all is in place as both a governing body and school for effective financial management. Governors may request a copy from the Clerk if they wish to see what's involved. The SFVS forms were unanimously approved. Mr. Monk will submit this in time to meet the deadline. All agreed.

ACTION: Mr. Monk

  • Benchmarking, which compares spending in Foxhills against other comparative schools, will be considered at the next meeting to determine Value for Money (VfM) on spend

 

7. Report from the Data Group (as attached)

Mr. Thomas explained the points, levels and sub-level attainment system and that the Data Group usually meets termly. Due to time restrictions and the number of governor meetings being held this month, it was not practical to hold a Data Group this time.

 In reference to the report:

A governor asked what strategies are in place to achieve improvements in writing in Yr 6 (from 64% achieving Level 4+ to 75%)? Year 6 staff have spent hours working on known gaps in learning and have specific interventions in place to close this; reading, decoding and sentence structuring groups are being run, along with comprehension, punctuation, clauses and Maths too.

  • Barriers to learning have been identified in Years 5 and 6 and concentrated support is being given  to help achieve the 75% target
  • Pupil Premium needs are being addressed by Mrs. Easton.
  • Gifted &Talented children are not tracked as a group on the system, but a progress grid has been shared with the Data Group

A governor asked what is planned to improve progress in Year 4 where progress has been slow? Progress of 0.9 points has been made in one term; accelerated progress may be made in Spring or Summer - the statistics should be viewed holistically and will be monitored but not with concern unless it continues. Interventions are in place and the Phase Leader, is aware. It should also be noted that the teachers erred on the side of caution in their assessment marking so will have marked down, rather than up. This flags possible concerns, but the Pupil Progress Meetings are held termly so everything will be monitored closely.

Governors wondered why the SEN cohort in the lower school were progressing faster than others and if it could be replicated in the other year groups. Years 3 and 4 are aware of the children's needs and are in control of their learning. Years 5 and 6 are working on those needs and accelerating learning to close the gap in attainment.

Levels are being abolished in June - when will the new system of measuring progress be known? A briefing has recently been attended by the Headteacher and Steph Mander, and discussions will take place on how the school will track progress. Attainment will be measured in Years 2 and 6, leaving the schools to choose how to progress children in between. Targets will not be known until the new tests come in to force in 2015, but it is expected that measures will be rated as: working below, working within and working above an age-related level.

 

Discussing the merits of a Data Group versus information being given at this meeting, governors agreed that the Data Group should look at the detail, report to the CLA on the main points and gain feedback. The FGB needs only a summary of cohorts on or not on track against national standards. By using this method, questions may be asked at CLA level which will drive actions and visits that are then reported to the FGB.

 

8. Report from the Pupil Premium working party

Pupil Premium progress has largely been covered already. A meeting is booked for the working party this week and minutes will be available at the next FGB.

 

9. Report on Learning Walk

Distributed with the agenda, all governors had had an opportunity to read it in advance and no questions were raised.

 

10. School Self Evaluation Plan (SSE)

This document, circulated at the last meeting, is ever-changing and feeds into the SDP. Questions were invited:

  • Have there been any significant changes to this document since November?
    • It is evolving, but nothing significant to report at this time
  • It is highlighted in colour, but printed black and white
    • Traffic light colours have been introduced as a guide to governors of areas of strength and weakness. There is no guidance for Self Evaluation now, it is the choice of the school on how to present the information. The Clerk will email the original document so that colours can be viewed

ACTION: Clerk

  • Would it be worth sending out this document regularly so that governors are kept up to date?
    • An overview of the main points (3 pages) can be distributed mid-way through each term. The CLA will look at the complete document in more detail. All agreed

 

11. Positive Behaviour Plan

The full policy and procedure had been sent with the agenda papers, but the Headteacher explained that it has been split into two parts now and tabled a shortened policy for governors to take away with them. He explained the theory behind this revision that children need to be shown that they have choices to make and how to make the right one. Governors were asked to read the new document, annotate with any suggestions and return to Mr. Shore as soon as possible. It should be adopted at the next meeting, if everyone is in agreement.

ACTION: All governors & clerk

12. Virtual Governance 

The recent guidance was circulated with the agenda papers. Governors should consider whether this is a route open to this Board. Governors discussed equipment necessary, changing lifestyles, effectiveness of the GB and whether it was worth considering. . It was agreed that teleconferencing could be useful at times when governors can't make a meeting, but can be available on the telephone; this is also more cost effective than video conferencing. It was acknowledged that there were cost implications and Mrs. Arscott agreed to obtain quotations so that it could be discussed further.

ACTION: Mrs. Arscott

 

Confidentiality was discussed and all agreed that it would be preferable for governors to attend meetings whenever possible although it may be a useful alternative for some committee meetings. A governor thought that the Infant school GB may already use this facility. Mr. Shore agreed to look into it.

ACTION: Mr. Shore

With 4 governors interested in using teleconferencing occasionally, if it was available, it was agreed to discuss further at the next meeting.

ACTION: Clerk

13. Governor Self Evaluation working party

A review is due for this document, which was last updated in 2013. Mrs. Arscott suggested a meeting on Feb 13th at 4.00pm and  Ms Scevity, Mr. Shore, Mrs. Datlen and Mrs. Thomson were available to meet on this date, however it would be preferable to include the chairs of the main committees.  Mrs Arscott will look at an alternative date

 

                                                                                                        ACTION: Mrs Arscott

 

14. Governor Training

  • Although the WGBT session for this academic year was held in September, the TLG is looking for a subject for the next session in the Autumn term of 2014. The new Curriculum would have been the first choice, but no training is available at the moment as HIAS are too involved in training the schools. Pupil Premium and Improving Outcomes were further topics suggested and governors requested that the choices be emailed so that they have time to think about which they'd like to choose. It will be discussed at a later date as there is no deadline to meet now

ACTION: Mrs. Datlen

  • There has been a technical hitch on emailing briefing event details to governors, which should soon be resolved. There will be a Curriculum briefing soon that 2 governors may attend
  • The next Forum will be held on 25th February at Nursling. The agenda will be circulated as soon as it is available
  • Full Access training option will be taken up with the new charges in place as previously agreed

 

15. School website update

The new website is up and running and is looking good, although it still needs some content. A group of children, chosen by Pupil Voice, have been trained as 'Webmasters' who will receive documents from staff to upload. A governor asked if there had been any feedback from parents. Not as yet. There will be designated inboxes set up eventually, and a view to a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) concept being available to pupils. A governor suggested that the children be given a quiz sheet to complete, where the answers are found on the website. This should encourage parents to view it too. There have been 1296 hits so far and there is a facility to update it remotely and immediately in case of emergency closures etc. Governors asked that a link to the governor email address be added, should any parent want to contact the Chair. Mr. Shore updated it during the meeting.

Pupil Voice have also selected the 'Art Team' who will draw members of staff to include on the website. Governors were requested to send a photo if they'd like to be included.

A governor commented that the website has a 'forest feel' about it and that it is bright and cheerful now. This was the original intention so the Headteacher felt pleased that this has been achieved.

 

16. Any other business

a) The school gates will be closed to traffic daily from 08:40 - 09:00 and 15:15 - 15:40 starting 3rd February. This is for child safety as there are around 700 children on site and there have recently been a few near misses at the crossing at the top of the drive. It will be trialled for one month. David Hurd Parking and Traffic Liaison for NFDC, totally endorses this idea and is making recommendations to HCC regarding the problems at the school. It is hoped that feedback will be received at a later date on this.

 

b) Mr. Shore and Mrs. Linsley, in common with other local headteachers will be attending

a Seminar run by the DfE at Arnewood School on January 29th. The headteacher stressed this would be an information gathering meeting  The Government seems to be pushing for all schools to become Academies eventually. He also pointed out that it would be preferable to choose how this change is effected, rather than being forced. Mr. Shore explained the circumstances of forced change. This will be discussed further at the next FGB.

ACTION: Clerk

Thanking the governors for a good meeting, the meeting ended at 9.07pm.

 

Date of next meetings: Tuesday 18th March at 4.30pm, Monday 19th May at 7pm and Tuesday 8th July at 4.30pm